Day 17 - I Say A Little Prayer for You

17. Book i read that changed my views on something


I say a little prayer for you by E. Lynn Harris..

My sis gave me this book when i was a reading nut...i still am but this book introduced me to the world of the "down low syndrome" and bisexuality. This is a story of a young successful man who has a past. He is trying to regain his footing in church and runs into a old fling that is practicing as a preacher...on the down low-low. Chauncey has to determine if he is gonna keep this on the hush and/or reveal his own skeletons in the process. Old urges arise and secrets are revealed. It was an eye opener for me cause by reading the title that this was primary storyline. I don't read the footnotes cause it ruins the story for me.

Reason it changed my life cause at the time i read this i wasn't hip to the bisexual/down low syndrome that was going on. My mouth was open wide while i was reading this book and couldn't put it down. I have almost every book he has put out. I finish off my collection with his memoir that was released after his sudden death at 54 years of age. I would share the web address for his but it has been closed down. If you haven't read any of his book they are on Amazon.com and are priced reasonably. wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Lynn_Harris

Day 17 - My Truth

Comments

Reggie said…
I think that one thing that writers like E. Lynn Harris have done is to perpetuate the myth that there are a large number of men of color of this persuasion. I think that is a myth. I've never read any of his books, but my life's experiences tell me that he's wrong when he starts talking sheer numbers of men that fall into this category.

I don't hate on anyone, or tell them who to love. I think that people that make other people's sexuality an issue, need to mind their own damned business. We all have gay cousins or an uncle or something. Those people that don't think they do, really don't know their family.

Popular Posts